Sunday, October 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Today is my Grandpa's birthday and he is 92! He says he doesn't need anything but I knew that he would like a cute photo of his three great-grandkids so I made this little mixed-media photo project for him:


I started off with a rectangular piece of foam core board. I covered the front and edges with a thin coat of Super Heavy Gesso. After that base coat was dry, I used the Tim Holtz Rays stencil to apply another layer of Gesso through the stencil. The heavy gesso works perfectly to make a nice raised design. Once all the gesso was nice and dry (I let it dry overnight) I was able to start having fun with the inking and painting. I used mist and the Stars stencil first. Then I dabbed on various colors of Distress Paint and then misted that heavily with water. I tipped the board this way and that to make the runny paint drip and flow along the crevices of the gesso. Once the paint part was all dry I used the Dot Fade stencil and Distress ink to make another layer of texture. A final bit of stamping with archival black ink added some more texture.

The tag behind the photo I created using the Eroded Metal technique I just learned in the Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 102 online class. I also used the Rusted Metal embossing technique from the class on the diecut gears. (That class is so wonderful!! Just sayin'.) For the photo itself, I wanted it to look vintage. I tried some hand tinting on a black and white version but I didn't like the effect for this project. I ended up desaturating the color photo a bit using Photoshop and that worked better.

So my Grandpa really liked this and has it sitting on the table beside his favorite chair. =)

Most of the materials I used on my project can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Cool project & cute subject matter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing !!!!!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!