Thursday, August 28, 2014

Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge #9… in the form of an ATB!

I have been busy in my craft area these past few days! I took on Challenge #9 in Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities 3 fun and decided that an Artist Trading Block would be perfect for it! The challenge this time is to use a set of Tim Holtz Framelits (a stamp and matching die set). Directions are found on page 63 of A Compendium of Curiosities Vol. 3. You can play along too! Head on over to the Studio L3 blog to see the details and check out the Curiosity Crew's inspiration. Also the Inspiration Emporium is sponsoring this challenge and you could win $50 to spend at the store! Now, let's get to my project:




I used every die and stamp in the set so I'm pretty happy about that. I think I should get extra points for it. ;-) Anyway, a few notes on the construction. The ornate frames I stamped with Versamark ink onto cardstock and then I immediately brushed over it with Perfect Pearls Bronze powder. This fine powder adheres to the ink and creates a beautiful shimmer.

The crackle effect on the top and base is acrylic paint over tacky PVA glue. It's an amazing technique. My friend Tracey Sabella just did an excellent tutorial on how to do this, be sure to check it out and give it a try.

The flowers are cut out of white cardstock and soaked in puddles of Distress ink. While wet, I inserted the center brads and crinkled the damp paper up around them. They dried in the crinkled shape which gives them a nice distressed look. Here's a detail:


For more Artist Trading Block inspiration, be sure to hop on over to the Artists on the Block blog and see what we've all been up to. I'm telling you, these little guys are addictive to make!

Thanks for checking out my work. Most of the supplies I used for this can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10!


10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creation! I love the subtle colors and the photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inventive this project. Love your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa. What a clever project! I love its originality and the way you've used the ornate frame framelit in this way! Way to use the entire set, too! :) I love the crackled white washed look with the more vivid flowers adorning your piece. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice piece of art! I really need to get that framelit set

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one gorgeous creation Lisa. Love that you used the entire set! Kudos to you. I'll be checking out that crackle technique. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at the egg on top! LOVE it so!!! Each side is fabulous, and love the photos! Thanks so much for playing along with us on this Stamps & Framelits challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! Love the shabby chic feel. Love how you fit all those dies in...love this! Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome project, and kudos to you for using every single stamp and die in the set! So glad you joined us at CC3C with your beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so gorgeous, Lisa!! Your crackle turned out beautifully. Thanks for the shout out and link!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!