Thursday, August 21, 2014

Steampunk Insects

I have a special project for you today. I think it is one of my favorite projects to date! I am a big fan of the artist Finnabair. She creates the most beautiful things and I was fortunate enough to take a class from her last year. This pair is inspired by her collage techniques and my love of gears and steampunk.



The insects were made using the new Layered Butterfly and Dragonfly dies from Tim Holtz. I love these dies! I will have many more projects to come with them incorporated.

Here are few detail shots before we get into some of the "how" I made these:



Now for some beginning steps. The initial layers were a scrap pieces of matboard I had around. I used Ranger's Texture Paste and the Gears stencil to create some base texture. When it was dry, I spritzed each one with Tumbled Glass and Ripe Persimmon Distress Stains for a first layer of color.


Next came the fun part of pulling out a zillion bits and pieces of gears etc. and playing around with the composition. The chipboard gears (and fancy gear borders and corners used on the frame) came from Gina's Designs. I've been very pleased with their laser cut chipboard shapes. They are so intricate!) After gluing everything down I painted it all with Silks Acrylic Glazes. I love these paints; the colors are so rich with a bit of shimmer in them.


To the frame I also applied some Texture Paste through the Dot Fade stencil. I made sure I didn't get into the areas where the gear borders were going to go. I wanted them to lay flat on the frame.


I am also entering these into the August Mixed Media Monthly challenge. If you haven't checked out this challenge blog yet, I highly recommend it. They have very interesting challenges and lots of inspiration to see.

I hope that you have been inspired to get creative yourself! Most of the supplies I used for these can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10!



18 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous. I really love the colors and all the depth and dimension. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Absolutely love your creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEP ... we've been WOW yet again !! These are fabulous ; amazxing texture techniques !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh... Gorgeous steampunk frames !!!! LOVE them. Fantastic texture and sublime selection of embellishment !! I love that you chose two different background colors as well.
    Can I ask you please to tell me : did you design the shape of the frames yourself ? I like them so much. The unusual edges make them so interesting compared to just square frames.
    Thank you so much for sharing your lovely art !!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The frames are actually Martha Stewart brand shadow boxes I've had in my stash for a few years now. I think I originally bought them at Michael's. I'm not sure if you can still get them. They had foam pads inside of them for using stick pins to mount things inside the boxes. I ripped those out. =)

      Delete
  6. Hi Lisa, this is fabulous!! Great colours and dimensions!
    And I would like to thank you for following me, I am really honoured that artists like you, would like to see what I am creating. I want to thank you before, but I couldn’t find you via blogger profile…I was thinking that you would like to know that there is no link to your blog in your profile.. Best wishes from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know Ana. I will check that out! =)

      Delete
  7. Love these boxes, Lisa! Beautiful how you incorporated all of the bits and pieces into the layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous! i always struggle with steampunk but always love how it looks! you make it look so effortless! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stunning, Lisa. Absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just amazing! Finnabair is definitely one of my favorites as well. You have used those dies to great effect! Thanks for playing along in the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so fun! All the little details are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wow!! This is my first visit to yr blog & it was seeing the blue based project at mixed media challenge blog. Steampunk, gears, mixed media & some amazing colour~ what's not to not only admire but also be in awe of??!! My aspirations are so beyond my abilities, drives me insane! WISH WISH WISH I could achieve a piece like these! Very very jealous (I know, wrong to feel but true) & ever hoping one day. ..... C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning pieces, both of them!! It's my first visit too (via Marjie K) love what you did here!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Positively stunnig. I am riveted to the dragonfly....these are really quite extrodinary....so happy to have found them through Margie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous work, Lisa! I have seen your profile on Marjie Kemper's website and thought I'd visit! I joined your followers. I look forward to more of your mixed media art ;) Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are brilliant, Lisa! Love them to bits!
    Claudia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!