Friday, July 1, 2016

The Mixed Media Monthly July Challenge!


Welcome to July and another fun challenge at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog! Our theme for this month is Reach for the Stars and our guest designer is Seth Apter! He is donating one of his super cool stamp sets as a prize so you will definitely want to join in our challenge this month. We are also welcoming a new member of the design team. Be sure to head on over to the blog after this to check everything out! For my project, I created a triptych of space themed ATC cards and a matching holder for them.


Here are the cards right next to each other so you can see the design better:


I used an interesting technique for the background that involves a material you probably have sitting in a kitchen drawer right now – aluminum foil! When you paint over the foil and leave some parts with a thin coat, the shine comes through and gives you a really nice effect. It's easy too!


I cut my card bases out of heavy cardstock and glued them to a piece of foil that I had crumpled and then carefully flattened out again. Depending on the texture you want, you can really crunch the foil or just make larger creases. I used Prima 3D Gloss Gel, which will adhere anything, to glue the foil to the cardstock. I did put a large acrylic stamp block over the cards to hold them flat while the gel dried. As it was drying, I sketched out my scene and painted it with DecoArt Media fluid acrylics:


After they were dry, I fussy cut all the little pieces out to glue onto my card backgrounds.


I trimmed out the cards and left a small margin of foil attached that I folded over the edges and glued on the backs of the cards. Then came the fun part of painting! I used a combination of black and metallic colors to make "nebulae". I also splattered on some of the DecoArt Media mists. Spacey! ;-)

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Canada Day to my northern neighbors and I hope my fellow Americans have a wonderful and safe Independence Day holiday weekend. Everyone else have a grand ordinary weekend lol.

The DecoArt Media fluid acrylic colors I used are: Titanium White, Dioxazine Purple, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Carbon Black, Gold, Yellow Oxide, Hansa Yellow Medium, Medium Grey Value 6, Green Gold and Naphthol Red Light. I also used Primary Yellow and Shimmer Violet Misters.

The supplies I used for this project can be found at Sizzix or Simon Says Stamp. Follow the links below and a shopping you may go. ;-)

16 comments:

  1. I love the wonderful scene you created, especially the fabulous octopus! The ATCs look amazing in their holder too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used al-foil on a project and it looks really fun! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun trio ATC panel. Love the foiled holder background! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting technique that I must try it right now. I love the ATCs and these are very funny, they remind me of a cartoon I loved so much: the Jetsons ... wow, how I loved that cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that foil technique! It may just show up in my make for this challenge :) and I have a space guy just waiting for a place to hang out in the universe! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what colorful and fun space stampings on your cool little triptych - great idea and wonderful look with the wrinkled aluminum foil! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant creation and love the space theme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your space themed triptych, that is so cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous mix of techniques on this triptych !I loved it ,never tries using alluminium foil and I thought the images were stamped ,amazed to know you drew them !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Genius triptych and a wonderful cosmos atmosphere.
    Very well done!

    Hugs - Senna

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a beautiful scene. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see such a different take on the theme. Tinfoil is fabulous to work with, and I love your "story" (Squiddy aka Anne Squire)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant! Love how you did the background!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!